Tracy of Shutterbean has a little phrase she often throws around on her blog – “Can’t stop, won’t stop.” and that is exactly how I feel about ice cream. I literally ate all the rocky road ice cream single handedly and as soon as it was finished I whipped up a batch of this ice cream.
Even though I’ve had an ice cream maker for over a year, this is my first attempt at vanilla ice cream. I’m kind of vanilla in many areas of my life but NOT when it comes to ice cream. For example, my wardrobe is quite vanilla. I favor solids and simple prints, cotton dresses and flip-flops. Accessories are somehow really difficult for me.
Yet when it comes to ice cream and baked goods I’m all about accessories. Plain vanilla ice cream – BORING!! Luckily I had a quart of man whore bar trimmings in the freezer begging to be put into something wonderful. You know when you’re trimming bars for a pretty presentation and you’re usually tempted to eat all the edges? Well gather some self-control and freeze those bad boys for later use.
Anyway, vanilla ice cream maybe a little boring, but throw in a little something special inside and you have yourself a marvelous, cold treat for the hottest days of summer. You won’t regret your decision to mix all your leftover treats in your ice cream, trust me!
One Year Ago – Watermelon Martinis
Vanilla Ice Cream with Mix-ins
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Yield – 1 1/2 quarts
1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean
6 egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons whipped vodka
1 quart man whore bars, cut into small chunks
- Place the bowl of the ice cream maker in the freezer the night before.
- Heat the milk, 1 cup heavy cream, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan until simmering. Cut the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds and the bean pod to the simmering cream.
- Simmer for one minute and then cover with a lid. Remove from the heat and let steep for 30-40 minutes.
- Whisk in the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream and place the mixture back on the heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg yolks. Add the heated cream mixture to the eggs little by little to temper the eggs. Once the eggs are warm, add them to the mixture on the stove.
- Heat and whisk until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve.
- Stir in the vanilla and the vodka. Cool the ice cream base completely. I usually cool in the fridge overnight.
- Churn the ice cream according the directions on your ice cream maker. Once churned pour into a freezer safe bowl and then mix in the chopped man whore bars.
- Freeze until firm.