I’ve spent the past three days at the Bronx Zoo and am there again today for graduate school. Despite all the learning, fun, and viewing of baby sea lions & lemurs, I’m exhausted. Class gets over at 3:30 and I have a lot of energy that slowing dissipates over my hour-plus drive home. Saturday I was pumped to go out and be social but after eating a lobster roll, I rode my bike home at quarter to eight to drink wine and go to bed because I was just too tired! But hey, at least I’m still able to post!
There is this little boy I know who turned two and is renowned and loved by all who meet him. I was fortunate enough to be in attendance at his second birthday; it was great fun with pizza, a Thomas cake, and adorable decorations. “Choo, choo, I’m two!”
Obviously I wanted to bring a treat, but I wanted one that didn’t require an oven. I also wanted something that was easy; it’s summertime, we all need a break from complicated desserts. A quick browse through my Pinterest boards brought me here. Bonus – mini blowtorch required!
Not only are these treats easy, they are super tasty. I don’t think I’ll be able to go back to plain rice krispy treats now that I’ve had a chocolate version, chocolate for everyone! Any recipe that requires two bags of mini marshmallows is a winner and has plenty of sweetness. The treats are soft and chewy with a decadent topping. This is a perfect recipe for any summer event!
S’more Rice Krispy Treats
Adapted from Foodie Crush
Yield – a million little pieces (or about 48)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 10-ounce bags mini marshmallows, divided
1 12-ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 sleeve graham crackers, crushed and divided
5 cups rice krispy cereal
- Cover a 9×13” pan with foil, spray the foil liberally (very liberally, trust me!) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the butter to a large saucepan to melt. Stir in 1 1/2 bags of mini marshmallows. Stir and heat until all the marshmallows are melted.
- Turn off the heat and stir in about 1 cup of chocolate chips. Stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Crush the graham crackers into medium-fine crumbs and stir in one cup into the marshmallow-chocolate mixture. Stir in the salt and vanilla.
- Add the cereal and lightly toss until all the cereal is coated. Press evenly into the prepared pan.
- Use a piece of wax paper to spread the mixture evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining graham crackers over the top. Evenly sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the graham crackers.
- Sprinkle the rest of the mini marshmallows over the top. Use a mini blowtorch to toast and melt the marshmallows. Or, if you’re uncool and don’t have a mini blowtorch, use the broiler.
- Let cool complete before cutting and serving.