I made you popsicles. It’s summer, popsicles are good in the summer! They are cool, crisp, refreshing, and moderately healthy; they are like ice cream without any guilt. Well at least minimal guilt! Fruit, a little sugar, a little ginger candy and we’re done.
Here is the problem – I still don’t like eating popsicles! I won’t stop making them, I like popsicles in theory, but whenever I pull one out, I eat a few bites and throw the rest away. I’m weird. Just be warned, if you come over this summer I’m going to try and shove a popsicle in your face.
Strawberry + rhubarb is a classic combination. I was looking for inspiration at Whole Foods and saw the beautiful rhubarb and figured I should make something with it; strawberry rhubarb popsicles seemed like a natural pairing for some summer popsicles. Throw in some candied ginger because I’m a little out control in the bulk section, and we’re done! The popsicles are fruity, slightly tart and slightly sweet, but totally refreshing. It’s summer on a stick!
Two Years Ago – Chocolate Malt Cupcakes
Strawberry Rhubarb Ginger Popsicles
Pale Yellow Original
Yield – 7 popsicles (using this mold)
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 1/3 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups chopped strawberries
8 pieces candied ginger
juice of 1/2 an orange
- Add the sugar and water to a medium saucepan, start heating on low.
- Chop the rhubarb and strawberries and add the the sugar syrup. Stir and cook.
- Chop the candied ginger and add to mixture on the stove top with the orange juice. Cook until the rhubarb is soft.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Puree with an immersion blender or tool of your choice.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve. You could skip this step if you want a pulpy popsicle, this would probably give you an eighth popsicle too!
- Pour into your popsicle molds leaving about 1/2” space at the top. Cover and add the popsicle sticks. Freeze.