Sometimes I go off coffee for a few weeks or a month. It’s an exercise in health and control; I don’t like to admit I have a slight addiction to coffee. If I don’t wean myself properly, I get terrible withdrawal headaches. The problem about not drinking coffee is the exhaustion – I’m thirty years old, I guess I need coffee everyday to function.
On the other hand, I’m exhausted when I drink coffee (and a diet coke) everyday and have been napping in the evenings after work. I am not a napper, but this summer I’m wiped out. All my colleagues and I are in agreement, working during the summer is rough.
Life is better when you have delicious, fresh cold-brewed coffee in your fridge awaiting each and every caffeine craving. Add some fancy simply syrup, almond milk, and some ice, and you have a beverage sure to pick-you-up and help you make it through these dog days of summer!
Two Years Ago – Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Iced Coffee with Vanilla-Almond Syrup
Adapted from How Sweet It Is
Yield – 4-5 servings
1 cup coarsely ground coffee
2 quarts water
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
1 vanilla bean
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Coffee – Buy some fancy coffee beans, mine were from Costa Rica. Take them to the grocery store and get them ground on the coarsest setting. Return home.
- Add the coffee beans to a nut milk bag, yep, I said it. Add the tightly closed bag to a pitcher with 2 quarts of water. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Vanilla-Almond Syrup – add the sugar and water to a small saucepan and begin heating.
- Split open a vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds and the pod to the sugar syrup. Stir and heat until all the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the almond extract.
- Strain into a little jar to cool.
- To make your delicious iced coffee add ice, coffee, a bit of syrup, and almond milk (or another milk if that’s your fancy), stir and enjoy with a cute straw!