Merry Christmas! I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas! Hard to believe it’s Christmas again, things always seem to sneak up on me and the years are flying by! I don’t know how many people read blogs on Christmas, but I’m posting anyway. My family has quieter, low key Christmases, so we’re usually back home and in our pj’s by 5; it’s a great time to be quiet and restful.
My favorite part of Christmas is the Christmas Eve party at my grandparents’ house. I swear, if there was video footage of Christmas Eve, every year would look exactly the same! Some people come and go, and everyone has aged; but for as long as I can remember, Christmas Eve has been the most consistent thing in my life. There will be all the food only eaten once a year; fried chicken, dumplings, stuffed cabbage, kielbasa and sauerkraut, green bean casserole, cucumber salad, jello salad, pickles & olives, rolls, and Slovak cookies. This is the meal to end all meals.
I’ve tried to amp up the dessert portion of the evening with trays of Christmas cookies. We’re not a family of formal dessert eaters; so usually it’s individual desserts. This year, I have not made as many cookies, so I made mini eggnog cheesecakes and hot cocoa cupcakes, recipes to follow! I so rarely have the opportunity to bake for my family; it’s lovely to share with them!
If you’re waking up this Christmas morning with nothing to bring to the family party, let me suggest this eggnog! I’m sure this is the only gift you need. Making homemade eggnog is much simpler than I anticipated and tastes completely different than store bought. It’s not weirdly yellow and tastes of fresh cream, nutmeg, and bourbon. The rum/bourbon combo packs a kick and cuts through the decadence of the drink. You only need a small serving to feel festive and joyous! I can’t wait to come home to more!
One Year Ago – Sugar Cookie Trees & Wreaths
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Yield – 3 8-ounce servings
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons dark rum
1/4 teaspoon bourbon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
- Warm the 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream in a medium saucepan until it simmers, but doesn’t boil.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, and salt until pale yellow. Whisk in the simmering cream in a slow and steady stream.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat until the mixture reaches 170 ˚F. Pour the mixture through a fine sieve into a clean bowl.
- Mix in the rum, bourbon, vanilla, and about half of a freshly grated nutmeg.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Before serving whip the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream into soft peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the eggnog and serve with freshly grated nutmeg on top.