I’ve led an extremely blessed life and have never struggled to meet basic needs like food, shelter, or warm clothes. Unfortunately, not everyone can say the same. I have partnered with Fleischmann’s® Yeast, Fleischmann’s® Simply Homemade® Baking Mixes and Karo® Syrup – trusted baking products that have helped people create beautiful homemade bread, baked goods and delicious desserts for more than 100 years – as they launch the Baking A Difference campaign to benefit Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry® campaign to help end childhood hunger in America through the power of baking.
To inspire people to make a difference for No Kid Hungry when they participate in the Baking A Difference campaign, Fleischmann’s® Yeast, Fleischmann’s® Simply Homemade® Baking Mixes and Karo® Syrup have partnered with America’s Test Kitchen and Joy Wilson of Joy the Baker blog, to create baking tips and unique twists on classic recipes to encourage more bakers to bake a difference.
To learn more about the Baking A Difference campaign and get the latest recipes and baking tips from Fleischmann’s® Yeast, Fleischmann’s® Simply Homemade® Baking Mixes and Karo® Syrup, visit Facebook.com/FleischmannsYeast, Facebook.com/SimplyHomemadeMix, Facebook.com/KaroSyrup and Pinterest.com/BeABetterBaker.
I’m doing my part by spreading the message and eating homemade caramel corn. I have never made caramel corn before and it is much easier than I anticipated! The popcorn was made in the microwave using my favorite brown bag method and tossed with homemade caramel. Mixing in fall M & M’s and pretzels add chocolate goodness and extra crunch. The sprinkle of sea salt on top cuts the sweetness and gives the popcorn a sweet and salty combo that I, and everyone else, seems to adore. It seems wrong that I overate a treat meant to bring attention to childhood hunger….
That being said, make some popcorn, make a difference, and help make sure everyone has equal access to wonderful food!
If you would like win the prize pack above, simply leave a comment describing one way to make a difference for No Kid Hungry. For shipping purposes, only those who live in the contiguous United States are eligible. Please leave a valid name and email so I can contact the winner. The give-away will be closed on Wednesday, November 6th, 2013 and a winner will be announced on Friday, November 8th, 2013. One entry per person please. Good luck and thank you!
One Year Ago – Apple Crumb Bars
Salty Caramel Popcorn
Adapted from Karo Syrup
Yield – 1 gallon
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup M & M’s
1 cup broken pretzels
sprinkle of smoked sea salt
- Make your popcorn by placing 1/4 cup of kernels in a brown paper bag. Fold over the top 3 times and microwave for 2 minutes and 20 seconds. This works for my microwave, adjust as needed for your microwave. Repeat for the second batch.
- Preheat the oven to 250 ˚F and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray liberally with cooking spray. Spread 8-9 cups of freshly made popcorn on the baking sheet and place in the oven while making the caramel.
- Add the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt to a small saucepan. Stir until the mixture begins to boil. Let boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
- Pour over the popcorn and toss to combine. Mix in the M & M’s and pretzel bits.
- Sprinkle with the sea salt.
- Bake for 45 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Break apart the popcorn and let cool completely before packaging.
Disclosure – I was given 2 prize packs, one to keep and one to give, by the Baking A Difference Campaign to share their message. All opinions are my own. I really did eat all the popcorn, it was that good!