Right now I’m going to write about something you don’t want to hear about – vacation hangovers. It’s a true, sad, scary period of time post-vacation when you’re a little bit depressed the vacation is over and real life seems totally overwhelming. I want a rum punch in my hand, sand in my toes, and the ocean in my ears. Yes, I’m a brat.
I always have such bad vacation hangovers. It’s like I can’t handle sustained fun. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I’m sitting on the floor hiding in my room reading the 300+ blog articles I missed in the internet-free paradise known as the Dominican Republic. So many posts in Feedly…
Apparently everyone went crazy for blueberries in my six days without the internet. I think I just saved 12 blueberry posts to comment on and pin later. Also, does anyone subscribe to Thought Catalog? I love the idea of the site and appreciate the many words of wisdom and hilarity, but sometimes it’s just. too. much. Again, I’m a brat.
Let’s talk about happier things, like happy vacations and happy birthdays. I made myself two birthday treats this year; one to post on the blog and one for my actual birthday celebration with my family. I grew up with a pretty tight knit family of aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents. We celebrated every birthday and holiday together; there was basically a family get t0gether once a month. I have been fortunate to have such an awesome and blessed life!
Anyway, since I live in NYC and my whole family lives in Michigan, I miss almost all of the family parties, even my own. This year, because of my cousin’s wedding, I was in Michigan to celebrate with her and to celebrate my own birthday! I wanted to make myself something relatively simple and definitely make-ahead. Slutty cheesecake bars are perfect in every way. I also wanted to make these because a different cousin made slutty brownies for his wife on mother’s day; deliciously hilarious!
Slutty cheesecake bars wonderful on so many levels. Number one – I totally cheated and used pre-packaged cookie dough, yep, it happened. Two, layer some Oreos on the pre-made dough and then pour on some cheesecake mixture. Sprinkle with some crushed cookies, bake, and you’re done, easy peasy. Three, slutty cheesecakes bars simply taste good! Sweet, rich and delightful little bites in your mouth.
One Year Ago – Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
Slutty Cheesecake Bars
Adapted from Baker’s Royale
Yield – 16 pieces (8 x 8” pan) or more if your mom makes you cut them small so everyone has a bite!
8-10 ounces chocolate chip cookie dough
16 + 5 oreos
12 ounces reduced fat cream cheese (1 1/2 boxes), room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 handfuls chopped whoppers, about 3 ounces
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F and line a 8 x 8” pan with foil. Spray the foil lightly with cooking spray.
- Use about half the cookie dough (I could only find it in 16 ounces packages and used a little over half) and spread an even layer at the bottom of the pan.
- Press down and bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookie begins to set.
- Place 16 oreos on top of the baked cookie.
- In a medium bowl beat together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla with a hand mixer until smooth. Spread evenly over the oreos.
- Chop the 5 remaining oreos and whoppers; spread over the cheesecake.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until the top browns.
- Let cool completely and then refrigerate. Once cold, cut into squares and serve.