Lynn is the one person I talk to almost every day on the phone. It helps that we have the same schedule both being teachers. Our favorite time to chat is either quickly at 7 am or after work around 4. This best part is when our calls get dropped and I then send her a voice memo with all of my thoughts. Voice memos are great because I get to do ALL the talking without waiting for someone else to speak. That sounds really bad on my part…
Often I’m baking when Lynn calls and she always inquires to what I am making, and then I always ask her what I should make for her; she usually says snickerdoodles or rice crispy treats. Since the blog now features four different recipes for snickerdoodles (original, vanilla bean, gluten free, & brown butter), it was time to make some rice crispy treats.
When I saw this recipe from Bakerella I knew I would make it for Lynn. Originally I thought it would be perfect for shipping, but since I visited Lynn over Memorial Day weekend, they turned into the perfect hostess gift. I like to bring what the people want and people tend to keep inviting you over when you bring snacks!
For a simple rice crispy treat these sure are tasty. The Biscoff spread adds great flavor to regular, old rice crispy treats and the brown butter is fantastic. Brown butter adds sophistication and tremendous flavor. The extra step of browning butter is totally worth it; the rice crispy treats taste nutty and interesting.
And yes, I know Thursday posts are a little rare. Yesterday I feel asleep by 8:30. Eight-thirty!! I think I had to much fun over the weekend! It’s time to take rice crispy treats away from the kids and give them to adults. A little browned butter and some cookie butter are all you need to turn a childhood staple into a fun, adult treat!
One Year Ago – Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Cake
Brown Butter Biscoff Rice Crispy Treats
Adapted from Bakerella
Yield – 16 squares
1 stick unsalted butter
10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
1/2 cup Biscoff spread (or any cookie butter)
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
6 cups rice crispy cereal
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper and spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Add the butter to a large pot and brown. Watch and stir the butter as it melts and browns. Once it turns from yellow to brown add in the marshmallows.
- Stir the marshmallows until they are melted and then stir in the Biscoff spread and salt.
- Stir in the cereal until it is well coated with the marshmallow/butter mixture.
- Spread the mix into the lined pan and use another piece of parchment paper to press down on the crispy treats.
- Allow to cool in the pan before cutting.
- Melt the chocolate in 20-second intervals, stirring in between and then add to a plastic baggie. Pipe squiggles on each individual bar.