Are you tired of vegan cupcakes yet? This is the last vegan recipe for awhile, I promise. If you thought the vegan chocolate cupcakes were good, these are better. For real.
The melted coconut oil adds the richness cupcakes need and completely replaces the butter. These cupcakes are soft and tender and incredibly moist. The lovely, light vanilla cupcake is paired with a decadent and chocolate frosting, the same frosting used on the chocolate vegan cupcakes.
As you can properly tell, I’ve been in a bit of a blogging rut lately. There definitely needs to be a pause on the drunk blog posts, sorry Andrea. I don’t want to blame everything on being vegan, but my creativity was a bit squashed. Work has continued to be overwhelming as new curricula is being written and taught. I look forward to some future baking prospects and a renewal of blogging energy.
In the future, most recipes will contain my favorite ingredient: butter! Lots and lots of butter. It’s unbelievable how much of a difference one ingredient can make in not only flavor, but in texture as well. Butter really is God’s Gold!
One Year Ago: Coffee Marshmallows
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from All Recipes
Yield – 24 mini cupcakes
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup almond milk
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed until melted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Add the apple cider to the almond milk to curdle the milk. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, powder, soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk the melted coconut oil and vanilla into the almond milk/vinegar mixture. Stir the wet into the dry until just combined.
- Use a small scoop to portion the batter into lined mini muffin tins.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Avocado Chocolate Frosting
Adapted from Love & Lemon
2 ripe avocados
1/4 cup cocoa powder, special dark
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup coconut milk
Almonds for garnish
- Add the avocados, cocoa, vanilla, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium to mash the avocado.
- On low speed add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat until well blended. Beat in the milk until it is spreading consistency.
- Add to a piping bag and pipe a star on top. Garnish with a whole almond if desired. I did this because of food allergies. Since there is almond milk inside, I wanted it to be apparent that there were nuts.