My plan was to make this vegan treat for Super Bowl Sunday, however, I forgot to throw the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer. Whoops. This treat was enjoyed on Monday and it is still being enjoyed as it lingers in the freezer. When you only sneak “bites” or “spoonfuls,” desserts seem to last awhile.
Since Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, this would also make a lovely dessert for any vegan friends or lovers you have. The pink color is delightful and the frozen strawberries provide a way to enjoy their fresh, berry flavor in the depth of mid-winter blues.
You would never guess this sorbet is dairy-free. I know sorbet explicitly implies dairy-free, but the overall texture is so nice and creamy, it really melts in your mouth. The little chunks of strawberry are so pretty scattered throughout the sorbet.
Strawberry beer sorbet couldn’t be easier to make: three ingredients, one pot, churn, and done. You could use any flavor beer you desire, but the beer flavor comes through, so as always, choose something you would enjoy drinking on its own. I thought the apple would be lovely with strawberry, and I was right. The extra beer was dutifully consumed during the actually Super Bowl, no waste here!
One Year Ago: Valentine’s Day Decorated Sugar Cookies
Strawberry Beer Sorbet
Adapted from Beantown Baker
Yield ~ 1 quart
3 cups frozen strawberries, thawed for about an hour
3/4 cups sugar
12 ounces beer (Shock Top – Honeycrisp Apple Wheat)
- Place the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer the night before.
- In a medium saucepan bring the strawberries and sugar to a boil. Once the strawberries are soft mash with a potato masher.
- Allow the mixture to cool and then stir in the beer. Place this mixture in the fridge for at least 2 hours (or overnight) until cooled completely.
- Churn in the ice cream maker until whipped and set, it only took me about 15 minutes.
- Freeze until desired hardness.