I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of everyone talking about the end of summer. Summer isn’t over until the end September and according to my calendar, that is still a month away! And, enough with the back-to-school already! I spent my weekend working on my tan. It’s still summer and these cookies scream summer.
Last time I made cookies for a BBQ/party I felt like there weren’t enough cookies. I mean everyone had a cookie, there just weren’t any left overs. As a result of my Midwest upbringing, I feel that if there are not leftovers (lots of leftovers), there was not enough! So this time, I made a LOT of cookies and everyone could have one, two, or even a pocketful!
These cookies had rave reviews! It could have been the copious amounts of alcohol talking, but I wouldn’t discount everything that was being said. Funfetti cookies ARE pretty darn fantastic.
At its heart, this a is a simple, moist, and tender sugar cookie with a lot of flair. The sprinkles don’t add a lot of flavor, but they add a lot of joy and delight. Imagine the possibilities of customizing these cookies for holidays or in your favorite team colors for the big game – make these cookies work for you! Overall, this a fun, simple, and great tasting cookie that looks like a lot more work than it. No worries, I’ll keep your secret safe.
1 1/2 (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
3 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons corn starch
1 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4-1 cup assorted sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, the yolk, and the vanilla until well combined.
- Whisk together the flour, corn starch, soda, and salt in separate bowl. Slowly incorporate into the wet ingredients on the lowest speed.
- Add in the sprinkles and mix until just combined.
- Use a 2-tablespoon scoop to portion the dough.
- Bake 15 minutes or until the cookie is set. Don’t wait for the cookie to brown.
- Slam each cookie sheet on the counter and transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.