I have just spent the past two weeks in Michigan visiting family and friends. I made these bars the day before I left as a sweet treat and to give myself something to post the morning after I return to Brooklyn. A lot has happened since I made these bars!
- I drove and drove and drove: out of New York, through New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and finally into Michigan. I drove across Michigan and down to Saint Joe and up to Baldwin. It’s times like this I miss the weirdos on the subway, I’m tired of driving!
- So many babies! There was sweet and smiley Isaiah who apparently doesn’t crawl! There was also baby Andie who has gotten so big since the last time I saw her, she is one of the most beautiful babies I have ever seen! And finally there was Lukas who is currently training for several potential olympic events including, but not limited to rowing, diving, and water polo. Trampoline has been ruled out for obvious reasons…
- I finally returned to Baldwin and saw my parent’s cabin, but more on that in a future post
- Infinite amounts of wine and Oberon have been drank, pounds of meat have been eaten, and few vegetables found there way to my face, a true Midwest adventure!
A bit about these bars – they are a delightful treat! The oatmeal fudge bars are a perfect sweet snack for little breaks between errands and packing. The bottoms are firm and crispy and the fudge is chewy and chocolately. The crumble on top is the final crunch to complete the bar. These bars are perfectly rich and sweet without being too much so. Make these bars the next time you are having a chocolate craving, attending a BBQ, or simply want a fudgy distraction!
Oatmeal Fudge Bars
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Yield – 20 squares
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup + 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup + 1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
8 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and line an 8×8” pan with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Mix together the oats, 1 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup flour, powder, soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Melt 8 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Add to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Take 3/4 of the oat mixture and add to prepared pan. Leave the remaining oat mixture for the topping.
- Press the oat mixture in an even layer in the bottom of the pan. Bake for 12 minutes until it is golden brown. Let cool for about 20 minutes in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter with the chocolate chips in the microwave.
- Let the chocolate cool for a few minutes and then mix in the egg.
- Mix together 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, instant coffee, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the oat crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining crust on top of the chocolate evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.