Get ready for some chocolate, like a lot of chocolate! These cupcakes are no joke. It’s a chocolate cake with a chocolate cream cheese frosting. If you LOOOOOOOVE chocolate and cheesecake, you WILL love these cupcakes too!
Our friend Jean moved back to the Chicago area and I wanted to make her something special for her good-bye party. When I asked her what she wanted she said chocolate. Not chocolate with flavorings, just chocolate! So I browsed through my Pinterest boards and saw this beauty and knew it was it!
The chocolate cake is moist and full of chocolate flavor. One party go-er commented on their enjoyment of the chocolate chips inside of the cake part! The frosting is full of cream cheese goodness. I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive about starting out with cold cream cheese, but it totally works!! This frosting is VERY rich, but very delicious! The recipe makes a ridiculous amount of frosting, be prepared.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
Adapted from How Sweet it is
Yield – 24-26 standard cupcakes
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
4 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside to cool.
- In the bowl a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk together the eggs and the sugar. Add in the milk, cream, vanilla, and sour cream. Beat until well combined and there are no lumps. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, soda, and salt. Mix into the wet ingredients on low speed.
- Add in the melted butter and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Use a standard size ice scoop to place the batter in lined cupcake tins.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until done. Let cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield – enough to frost about 34 cupcakes
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
24 ounces (3 boxes) 1/3 fat cream cheese, cold
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla
mini chocolate chips and sprinkles for decoration
- Melt the 3 ounces of chocolate in the microwave in 20 second intervals until melted. Set aside to cool down.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the cold cream cheese until creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar to the cream cheese 1/2 cup at a time. Scrape the bowl as needed. Things are very thick at first. Beat in the cocoa powder and the vanilla.
- Beat until the frosting is a good consistency and well mixed.
- Use a piping bag to frost the cupcakes and decorate with mini chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Because of all the cream cheese, I kept these guys in the fridge.