There is nothing better than a good chocolate cupcake with just a bit of a twist. And who doesn’t love a good chocolate malt? I made these cupcakes for Cinnamon’s birthday! She was my first friend at work who invited me to hang out for after work functions. Without her, I probably wouldn’t have a ton of work friends But now I have a lot of work friends and I keep their friendships alive by bribing them with cupcakes!
I was surprised how easy these cupcakes were to throw together. Malt has always intimidated me and has been on my new foods list, but really it’s as simple as buying the malt powder that appears next to the hot chocolate mix in the grocery store. The malt flavor develops over time, so the second day is more flavorful than the first.
The chocolate cake is soft, tender, and moist, everything your want from a chocolate cupcake. I like how simple the chocolate cake is because it really allows the frosting to shine! This a fantastic, chocolate frosting! Very rich and creamy. I love the extra bite from the malt powder. Chocolate malt cupcakes are a great way to jazz up an regular chocolate cupcake!
Chocolate Malt Cupcakes
Adapted from That Winsome Girl
Yield – 18 cupcakes
1/2 cup whole milk
3/4 cup malted milk, original flavor
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg + 1 yolk
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Beat together the milk and the malt powder in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on low until all combined. Then mix in the oil.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, sugar, brown sugar, soda and salt onto wax paper. Slowly add to the milk/oil mix.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and then beat in the yogurt and vanilla.
- Use a standard ice cream scoop to place batter in lined cupcake tins.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until the cupcakes are set.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
Yield – enough to generously decorate 18 cupcakes plus a lot extra!
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup malted milk powder, original flavor
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 cups powdered sugar
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20 second intervals, set aside to cool.
- Beat togeher the butter and shortening until well combined and light and fluffy. Beat in the malt powder and the cocoa.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat on low speed and gradually increase the speed until well combined and light and fluffy.
- Mix in the melted chocolate.
- Place in a pipping bag and pipe a generous topping. Garnish with Whoppers.