Is it necessary to make your own buns for sliders? No. But is it absolutely delicious, YES!!! These buns are soft, tender, and light as air. They had just a hint of sweetness and they had a full wheat flavor. The buns made a excellent accompaniment to the black bean sliders, but they are delicious on their own.
Making bread is really satisfying and peaceful, it’s something I wish I would make more often! These buns were easy to make, they just take a little bit of time and some planning.
Homemade Slider Buns
Adapted from Annie Eats
Yield – 16 slider buns
3 tablespoons milk
1 cup water
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 egg + 1 egg for an egg wash
2 2/3 cups flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
coarse salt for topping
- Heat the milk and water in the microwave for about 30 seconds until warm, but not hot.
- Add the milk/water, yeast, sugar, salt, and one egg to the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the flours and mix on low speed. Add in the butter and mix until just incorporated.
- Switch to the dough hook and beat on low speed for 7 minutes.
- Place the dough in a large oiled bowl, cover, and place in a warm spot to let proof and double in size. This takes about an hour.
- Cut the dough into 16 even pieces and place on an oiled cookie sheet. Again cover, leave in a warm spot, and let proof to double in size. This takes another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Beat the other egg with a fork and then brush on top of all the buns. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until brown. Separate and split.