I’ve made a lot of Oreo cupcakes, they are definitely a fan favorite! Chocolate Oreo cupcakes have been in the back of my mind for awhile now, so it was about time I finally got around to making them!
I promised my homeroom if they raised over $400 for Pennies for Patients I would make them cupcakes. Not only did they raise over $400, they raised more money than any other class in the sixth grade! I’m so proud of them!! Since I have a lot of students with an aversion to chocolate, I also made Tie Dye cupcakes.
The kids really enjoyed the cupcakes and gave me lots of nice compliments. After two weeks of state testing I was glad I could make them a nice treat! The chocolate cupcake recipe is my current stand-by chocolate cake recipe. So moist and delicious and chocolaty! I sort of made up the frosting as I went along. I just wanted simple amounts that corresponded to the packaging! The frosting is sweet without being too sugary and has great cream cheese flavor. This recipe makes a LOT of frosting!
2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup cocoa
2 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk
1 cup hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line the cupcake pan with liners twist Oreos apart. Take the half with more cream and place cream side up in each cupcake liner. Reserve the cream-less halves.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, soda, powder, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix together on low with the paddle attachment.
- Beat together the eggs, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl and add to the dry ingredients. Beat in the milk
- Mix until just combined and then scrape down the sides.
- Turn on the mixer and add the hot water slowly until well combined.
- Fold in 30 cream-less Oreo halves plus 5 whole Oreos chopped into quarters.
- Fill the cupcake liners using a basic ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Simple Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield – a lot! Don’t worry about running out
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
16 ounces (2 boxes) cream cheese, room temperature
2 lbs (a bag) powdered sugar
3 tablespoons vanilla
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until light and creamy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar. Stop every once and awhile to scrape down the bowl and then beat on high speed for a few seconds.
- Add in the vanilla and beat again until well combined.
- The frosting won’t be super stiff, if you want it stiffer for piping, place in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Add to a piping bag with a large round tip and pipe a dollop on top of each cupcake.
- Crush the remaining cream-less Oreos and sprinkle on top.
- Break 18 Oreos in half and place one half on top of each cupcake.