Here is a little known fact – I do eat meals! On the weekdays I usually eat a salad with soup or make a sandwich or eat the same entrèe for 4 nights in a row. It can be tedious cooking for one. On Sunday nights the roommates and I like to share a roommate dinner. We make real meals with salad, entrèe, and dessert. When this tradition started a few years ago over on Clinton Ave., it was just Ruth and I taking turns. When Stacey started cooking, she joined the rotation. So every 3 weeks, I search my Pinterest board for the perfect dish to inspire my roommate dinner.
I knew this dinner would need to be a make ahead one because we had been on Spring Break (the joys of living with teachers!) all week and were going to see a mantiee of the Newsies on Broadway. By the way, Newsies is awesome, very fun with excellent dancing and singing. We sat on the porch drinking some Skinny Girl Margaritas, eating, chatting, and enjoying the close a beautiful week!
The tacos were super easy to make! Just dump the ingredients in the crock pot, turn it on for a few hours, come back, shred, and mix together. There was a lot of flavor and all they needed was a little dollop of gauc and 0% Greek yogurt. Delicious! I made everything in the morning before the show, covered it well, and put in the fridge. All I had to do when we got home was shred the chicken, set the table, and put everything out.
- Pulled chicken tacos – see recipe below
- Mixed greens with tomato, avacado, red onion, and lime vinegrette
- Guacamole made in the style of Mexico according to Ruth
- Grasshopper Pie
1.34 pounds skinless chicken breasts (obviously the amount can vary some, my chicken had bones in)
2 jars salsa (I used one medium and one mild to control the heat level)
1 can (15 ounces) drained and rinsed black beans
8-12 small tortillas (I put the leftover chicken on a salad)
Greek yogurt or sour cream
Cilantro for garnish
- Place the chicken, beans, and salsa in a crock pot. Turn on low and cook at least 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Pull the chicken out the crock pot and let cool for a few minutes. Using 2 forks, pull the chicken apart and add back into the salsa and bean mixture.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
- Scoop some of the mixture on a small tortilla, I recommend 2 per person, and top with a dollop of yogurt and guacamole.