These are slutty brownies my friends. Why are they called slutty? I don’t really know. They could be called “chocolate chip, Oreo, brownie bars,” but that is just not catchy. I hypothesize that these are called slutty brownies because they are much like that girl you know who doesn’t know what kind of man she wants, so she tries them all. Some may call her slutty, but I would call her indecisive. Like this torn girl, these brownies are perfect when you don’t know what type of treat you are craving. Do you want a brownie? How about a chocolate chip cookie? What if you want an Oreo? Are you slut for eating all three? I don’t like to place judgment. What you should really do is bake all three together, then everyone will love you for creating deliciousness, and no one would dare call you a slut!
I first tried slutty brownies at a staff luncheon before I knew what they were called. All I knew is that they were delicious and I wanted more! I went home that evening and I searched my Pinterest board and wouldn’t you know it, I had already pinned a recipe! Sometimes, I surprise myself! Not only was I excited to make this recipe, but I already knew the perfect time to make them – Cinnamon’s Girls’ Night In party. If girls are staying in, it is only fitting that there are some slutty brownies to go around!
Just look at these brownies! They start with a chocolate chip cookie base that is chewy and still a still gooey like cookie dough. Then you add the Oreo, which you think would be a crunchy element, but oh no, the Oreo has become soft and fully incorporated into the two layers. And then, to top it all off, you have a fudgy, chocolaty brownie layer of wonderfulness! These are so good! Completely satisfying and even the non-chocolate lovers enjoyed the slutty brownies. The recipe is not that difficult. It looks like there are a lot of steps, but they go pretty fast. Plus, there is a high yield, so one batch is great for a large crowd. You should definitely make these and impress you friends!
Adapted from What’s Gaby Cooking
Yield – 24-30 small square (small is better, these guys are very rich!)
10 tablespoons + 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 + 1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
2 + 2 teaspoons vanilla
2 + 2 eggs
1/2 + 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 + 2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups (1 standard bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips
24 double stuffed Oreos
Making the brownie layer:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Melt 10 tablespoons of butter on a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted add in 1 1/4 cups sugar and the cocoa. Whisk until blended together and then remove from the heat.
- Add in 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 2 eggs, again whisk to combine. Add in 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 cup flour. Mix until everything just comes together. Set aside to cool.
Making the cookie layer:
- Beat together 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, 1 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment until pale yellow.
- Add in 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons of vanilla, beat to combine and then scrape down the bowl.
- Add in 1 teaspoon salt, the powder, soda, and 2 1/2 cups flour. Mix on slow until all the flour is incorporated. Mix in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Scoop about half of the cookie mixture on top of the parchment paper. Wet your hands with cold water, dry, and smoosh the cookie layer until it covers the bottom evenly. Add more cookie as needed. I ended up using about two-thirds of the batter.
- Press the Oreos on top of the cookie layer in 6 rows of 4. Smoosh them into the cookie.
- Pour the brownie batter over the Oreos and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife comes out with only a few crumbs. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Trim the edges and then cut into small squares. What you do with the edges is no one’s business but your own! I recommend relaxing on the couch with so edges and a cold glass of milk.